Sunday, August 10, 2014

47kms, 3.5 hrs and over Thousand calories

Ah! quite a catchy title I came up with, but honestly that’s how it has been. One of the two good things that happened to me due to moving my base to Pune is cycling. The other thing I would leave unmentioned due to third party involvement.

So, first question that must be coming to you is what made me take up cycling? Well, like many other things that have happened to me, here as well the answer is same, “Abhishek Upadhyay”.  Most people reading my blog must be knowing this celebrity and will agree that this person dramatically influences your thinking ability and can sometimes make you do things that you would not do or at-least you  would not like to do. For ex: On a weekend you would like to sleep, but this guy would wake you up and take you on an unplanned trek and you will not have a chance to refuse.

When I moved to Pune I was told, cycling keeps you fit and will help you lose your paunch. And within a month I got my bicycle – a Fantom MTB 6000 with 21 speed gears and disc brakes…Oooo la la!! Who bought it for me? Yes, correct “Abhishek” is the right answer again. And since then I am cycling to my office.  Nothing has happened to my paunch as such, but I have saved a lot over petrol :D.

I was at Abhishek’s place for the weekend and it was decided that we would go for a cycle ride in the morning. I said fine, thinking it would be just regular round and we will be back even before we sweat as the weather was really nice and cool.

So, Saturday morning we started, the pro cyclist and the newbie. Abhishek, bought a lot of cycling gear from his recent trip to Bangalore. Once he was suited up, I was feeling like an idiot wearing shorts, collared t-shirt and sandals. Now I am thinking he wanted to test all the gear he bought and that’s why we went on this ride.  Well anyways we started off and like a good host he asked me, off-road or city ride. Unaware what was coming, I opted for off-road thinking we would go to some nearby location and come back.  So, off-road it was.

Starting at 9:30 am from The Parkland, I began following the pro cyclist. We came to Pune-Mumbai Highway and turned towards the Balewaadi stadium. We took a by-lane and started our off-road trail entering into Mahalunge Village. The roads were broken, muddy and covered with overflowing water due to the heavy rains that continued over last week, but more than that the village was full of greenery and it was really soothing (who knew what was coming up, well Abhishek knew). I was enjoying the scenic beauty cycling slowly as Abhishek was showing all the stuff around. From a distance he showed the IT park at Hinjewaadi and as we moved further we saw the beauty of nature was at its best. Hill ranges laden with greenery and white clouds covering the top of the hills, it was like we were in some hill station.

Moving further we took a turn towards Nande village and we had already done eleven kilometers. We followed the Mula river for about two-three kilometers and were pondering that about two weeks ago there wasn’t any water and now the river was flowing with full force. Though the water was still muddy but it was a view. I was missing my camera, but had to keep up with the pro so just kept pushing forward.

In a few kilometers we crossed two more villages Mulkhed and Ghotawade. Somewhere in Ghotawade we took a left turn towards Mulshi. As Abhishek was guiding I didn’t pay much heed to what road we were taking. He had already done it twice. Here was slight up-hill patch and I being the newbie fell back. But I kept pushing and once we were again on a normal track I caught up with the pro, my bro Abhishek. Then this guy did what even the enemies don’t do. He told, the patch that we just climbed up was not even the trailer of what lies ahead, and he told me with bright, smiling face. It was the “WTF” moment, but being the good friend I am, I said OK, buddy no problem.

And then came the dreaded moment, the uphill climb somewhere near Pirangut. I tried, tried my best but I had to get off my bicycle and walk the next three and half kms with cycle in my hand. Abhishek, trudging slowly already reached the top of the hill and since wasn’t able to find me behind him, came all the way down to keep me company. Now that’s what a friend does, isn’t it?

Well, the reward was coming down the hill, not a single pedal and we were cruising at a speed 50kms/hr.  In no time we crossed Chandni chowk and reached Bavdhan. We halted for a coffee break and had already done 33 kilometers. After a sumptuous breakfast and coffee, we started our trail again. Now the ride was much easier, mostly down the hill.

In another hour, we were home, full of sweat, dirt and a feeling of achievement.  The milometer showed that we did 47.5 kms in about three and half hours which according to Abhishek wasn’t bad. He said, hopefully in the second round we could improve it, as then I would probably not get down my bike as I would be aware of the uphill climb (huh, I am not going to his place for another month, leave alone the second round).

All that said, will have to admit, that it was a good experience. Enjoyed it  (in parts).


Looking forward to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment