Monday, October 7, 2013

A gift of LOVE

There is an old indian saying "Miyaan ki jooti, miyaan ke sar" which means hit oneself with his own shoes. Today I understood the meaning literally.

It had been a month my wife was nagging to buy me a pair of shoes, and I was deliberately & constantly delaying since I knew I would have to go along with her for shopping. Many of my married friends here will definitely agree that shopping with wives (and unmarried friends can talk about girl friends) is more difficult than finishing a project before deadline. Let me do a comparative study here to bring out the ordeal in both cases  and then you can decide on your own.

Shopping with wife Finishing a project
You don't know what you are shopping for.
Requirements are freezed.
There are multiple shops where you get the same thing at more or less same price but you have to visit each one of them. Your toolkit is fixed.
If a discount sale is going on in a nearby store, you have to visit there once. You don't need deliver something everyday.
Your opinion would be asked every now and then about a specific dress/product but will be ignored, if they like it. Your opinion will be asked & discussed even if it is rejected at the end, but ignored, never.
Most important, you have to pay the bill. You get paid for what you deliver.

  
Well, that said I simply conclude project delivery is easier. 

Anyways, luck is not always on your side and today mine was neither, so I had to take my wife for shopping. We visited a couple of shops (thank god, only a couple) and then finalized a pair of shoes and surprisingly enough I didn't have to pay the bill. My wife said it's a gift from her and I was all smiles. I was about to kiss her but then in India, PDA does not go very well with people so I controlled my emotions. 

On our way back we had our dinner and then stopped by one my friends place for a gossip session. As the girls started discussing there serials, we poured ourselves a scotch and moved to balcony. Looking at the stars in the clear sky (and with the event that happened at the store) I was bit overwhelmed and narrated the whole thing to my friend. Not only that I went a step ahead and showed him the newly bought shoes. He took the shoes, inspected them and then slowly looking at me said "nice, now that's what I say miyaan ki jooti, miyaan k sar". And I said what? what do you mean? He laughed at me and said "Bro, now that your wife has paid for the shoes, whenever she feels like hitting you with something she can always ask you to take out your shoes and you will have no choice but simply give her the shoes so that she can hit you because she is practically the owner of shoes".

Thus, I understood the meaning of an old saying. Nevertheless, I am loving the gift of love from my love and in a part of my heart praying that she should not try to vindicate the saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment